Ethiopia/Omo Valley 2023
$200.00 – $4,695.00
10-DAY WORKSHOP – $4695**
MEET AND GREET ON JANUARY 10, 2023 at 9:00 AM at the airport in Addis Ababa
**Includes all lodging, food and ground transportation throughout the workshop
This workshop continues to be one of the most popular and memorable for every student who has participated in prior years. The full itinerary is provided below and is subject to minor changes depending on unexpected yet welcomed opportunities that arise, such as a bull jumping ceremony, a tribal marriage or the desire of the group to stay in a given location longer.
January 10: Arrive Addis Ababa no later than the morning of January 10. Plan to fly out of Addis Ababa in the morning on a domestic flight to Arba Minch, arriving in the early afternoon. We will meet up with the guides and lodge for one night in Arba Minch. On the afternoon of January 10, we will take a boat ride out onto Lake Chomo and photograph birds, Nile crocodiles and hippoes.
January 11: On the morning of January 11, we will take a leisurely drive south, stop to photograph the people in several villages along the way and spend one night in Konso at the Kanta Lodge.
January 12-14: On the morning of January 12, we will visit the Konso tribes and then continue south where we will make stops in Wayto Valley and make an afternoon shoot with the Arbore Tribe. We will lodge in Turmi for the next three nights, January 12-14 and during this time we will spend time with the Hamar Tribes, the Karo Tribes and the Dassanech Tribes.
January 15-16: On the morning of January 15, we will depart Turmi for the town of Jinka and visit several markets in the area. We will lodge for two nights, January 15-16, in Jinka. On the morning of January 16, we will visit the Mursi Tribe and photograph on the streets of Jinka in the afternoon.
January 17-19: On the morning of January 17, we will depart Jinka and drive 7-hours to the Chebera Churchura National Park. We will lodge in the park the nights of January 17-19. During our photo shoots in the park we will photograph elephants, water buffalo and more birds, as well as some of the local tribes who live in the nearby colorful town.
January 20: On the morning of January 20 we will depart for Jimma, a 3 ½ hour drive north. In Jimma students will catch an afternoon flight back to Addis Ababa and have plenty of time to catch an international flight that evening, back home or on to your next destination.
- Students will be responsible for arranging and paying for flights to and from the workshop, as well as the one-way flight from Addis Ababa to Arba Minch and the one-way flight from Jimma back to Addis Ababa.
- Workshop participants will be responsible for ‘model fees’ that each photographer pays to photograph the tribal people you will meet and camp with. As a general rule, each person you photograph expects payment for their photo, usually about 10-20 Ethiopian Birr (30-60 US cents) per person, depending on the tribe and/or person(s) in your shot. Generally, each student will spend at most $20 to photograph 40+ people each day.
- Feel free to arrive Addis Ababa earlier than January 10 if you wish to see the city or just get acclimated to the time zone change. If you elect to arrive on January 10 from the USA, Europe or the Middle East, your flight will in all likelihood arrive in the morning between 6:00 – 9:00 am, so you will have no trouble making the afternoon flight on that same day to Arba Minch from Addis Ababa.
- Temperatures in Ethiopia in January are a very pleasant 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit but with very low humidity and often a light wind. Pack your shorts, short sleeve shirts, sunscreen and a hat. A comfortable pair of flip flops or tennis shoes will be suitable footwear for this workshop. Hiking boots are NOT necessary as you will be walking for the most part on sandy ground.
- Check the latest guidance for vaccinations required to travel abroad:
As of late 2019, the Yellow Fever vaccine is no longer required for entrance into Ethiopia.
To be provided a few months in advance of the workshop.
To sign up for this workshop, click on the link above to make a deposit and secure a place in the workshop. To get additional information or ask to be on the waitlist, send an email to Lisa Phillips at [email protected].